Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Review: BH Cosmetics Studio Pro Beauty Sponge vs. The Original Beauty Blender

Hello again everyone!

Today's review is going to be on the new BH Cosmetics Studio Pro Beauty Sponge and a comparison with the ever so famous Beautyblender.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, I'll quickly fill you in. Basically, these are sponges that you can use wet or dry to apply foundation or any other type of "complexion corrector". In this review I will tell you about each product individually, and then I'll show you a comparison of the two.

The Original Beautyblender

I purchased my Beautyblender from Sephora for $20

Claims: "The world’s first edge-less, non-disposable, high-definition cosmetic sponge applicator. The unique shape and exclusive material available only with beautyblender® ensures impeccable, streak-free application with minimum product waste. Use it with primers, foundations, powders, cream blushes, and any other complexion product. beautyblender® features an open cell structure that fills with small amounts of water when wet. This allows the sponge to be “full” so that the makeup product sits on top of the sponge rather than being absorbed, allowing you to use less product every time. When wet, beautyblender® doubles in size and becomes even softer, returning to its original size when it air dries.

Directions: "beautyblender® is easy to use: simply wet.squeeze.bounce. your way to makeup perfection!
  • wet. beautyblender® with water
  • squeeze. out the excess liquid, using a towel if available
  • bounce.primer, foundation, powder, cream blush or any other complexion product across the face for flawless results."


BH Cosmetics Studio Pro Beauty Sponge

I purchased mine at on the BH cosmetics website for $4.95

Claims: "Achieve ultimate complexion perfection with the BH Studio Pro Beauty Sponge. The unique shape gives you foolproof application to cover every inch of your canvas. The pointed end works the hard-to-reach spots, like the corners of your nose and around the eyes or for covering imperfections. The large, rounded base blends the larger areas of the face for an undetectable finish. Our beauty sponge is latex free, hypoallergenic and odor free."

Directions: "Run the sponge under water and squeeze, making sure it’s fully saturated. Once fully saturated, the sponge will expand. Squeeze the sponge to remove excess water and lightly dry it with a towel. Your sponge is now ready to use. For best results, cleanse the sponge after each use."

I took the claims and directions directly off of the beautyblender website and the BH cosmetics website.

In my opinion, I believe the two are very similar in terms of how they apply foundation. I use both of them wet, I do not suggest you use them dry, you will not get a very good application that way. They both do what they claim to do, but they do have some differences! I'll list these differences below.

  • The BH cosmetics sponge is MUCH bigger than the beautyblender, both when wet and when dry. 
  • Because the BH cosmetic sponge is bigger, it cuts my foundation application time in half by covering a much larger portion of the face.
  • The BH cosmetics sponge doesn't get as dry as the beautyblender does. I find it extremely difficult to ring all the water out of it. 
  • The BH cosmetics feels much heavier than the beautyblender.
  • In my opinion the  BH cosmetics sponge is much softer than the beautyblender.
  • The BH sponge doesn't get quite as bouncy as the beautyblender does.
Here are the sponges dry, the pink one is the original beautyblender, the purple one is the bh cosmetics studio pro beauty sponge.


And here are the sponges after I got them wet.

And comparing the bottoms.


My conclusion: I believe purchasing the original beautyblender was the best $20 I've ever spent on a sponge. But the more and more I use the BH cosmetics sponge, the more and more I fall in love with it. I love the fact that the BH sponge is so much larger than the beautyblender, because it cuts my application time in half with the same great coverage. Also, I think BH cosmetics did a great job with their version, because trust me, I have tried a LOT of beauty sponges, and I have never found a "dupe" that's been as good as the BH cosmetics studio pro beauty sponge. I still believe the original beautyblender is the best in it's class, but dang, good job BH Cosmetics! I will definitely be buying another one for back up!

3 comments:

  1. NICE BLOG!!! Thanks for sharing a nice information. Beauty Blender, the little spongy hot-pink egg that has flipped and reversed our whole makeup method, in the best way possible.
    Check out here Beauty Blender Dubai | Real Techniques Brushes In Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for you review. I must have the BH Cosmetics Sponge! :-)

    ReplyDelete